Ron developed his DIY recipes for hair after listening to clients voice their needs and concerns, studying the beauty benefits of various foods, and plenty of trial and error to come up with formulas clients rave about. “Some of my absolute favorite ingredients to use are coconut oil, shea or cocoa butter, honey, and avocadoes,” says Ron. “They’re often a cheaper option than [commercially available] products and you have complete control over using additives, organic, or vegan ingredients.”
DIY Clarifying Treatment
Clarifying treatments become extra important in the summer when we’re constantly abusing our locks with chlorine and saltwater. They can also be used once a week to strip hair of product buildup, dirt and other environmental elements. “Apple cider vinegar and baking soda are designed to thoroughly cleanse, and as an added benefit they also return hair to its natural pH level.”
Apple Cider Vinegar Treatment
- Mix equal parts water and apple cider vinegar and rinse hair with the solution.
Baking Soda Treatment
- Mix one teaspoon of baking soda into a sulfate-free shampoo and wash.
- Or, mix two tablespoons of baking soda with one cup warm water, and add two drops of grapeseed oil. Pour mixture over hair before shampooing.
DIY Moisturizing Hair Mask
This DIY hair mask uses bananas, goat’s milk yogurt and honey, softening the hair with the banana’s natural oils and potassium. The rich emollients and vitamins in the yogurt and honey provide hydration for smooth and silky strands.
Hair Mask Step-by-Step
- Mash one banana and blend with three tablespoons of honey and ½ cup of plain goat’s milk yogurt until it has a mousse-like consistency.
- Coat hair with the mousse and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly.
DIY Soothing Hair Treatment
“This is a great recipe for hair that simply needs a lot of love," says Ron. "Whether your hair is stressed from too much styling heat, or weak from wearing it back too often, this recipe will help revive it. It can also help calm an irritated scalp.” I tried out Ron’s recipe after a week of blow-drying and hot rollers and saw noticeable rejuvenation!
Strawberry & Rose Hip Oil Treatment Step-by-Step
- Mash six fresh strawberries or ¾ cup frozen berries in a small bowl.
- Add one teaspoon of rose hip oil (I bought mine from a local vitamin shop) and one teaspoon of baking powder.
- Coat head with the mixture and let sit 10 minutes before rinsing.
For more information on Ron King and the Ron King Salon check out Ron King Beauty.