If you're looking for the perfect hairstyle to contain your second-day hair and still look totally on trend, look no further. This messy side fishtail braid is as versatile as any updo and twice as easy, especially if you haven't mastered the French fishtail yet. Before getting started, round up a comb, a ¾-inch curling wand, two small clear elastics, and a pair of scissors.
1. Make a severe side part on the side opposite from where you want the braid. Start the part right above the arch of your brow.
2. On the fuller side of your head, vertically part off a section from the side part to about an inch behind your ear.
3. French braid the front section until you reach your ear, and secure it with a clear elastic. We'll cut the elastic out later.
4. Tease the crown of your head, and curl it to add volume and texture. We used a tapered ¾-inch wand.
5. Gather the braid and curled hair together, and create a fishtail braid. Secure the end with an elastic that matches your hair. Now that the fishtail is secured, carefully cut out the elastic that was holding the three-strand braid.
6. Sprinkle the braid with texturing powder, and pancake the braid by gently pulling on either side of the braid until you reach the width you want. Pull out a small piece of bangs for a messy feel. Finish off with a medium-hold hairspray.