Step up your braid game, and learn how to create this cute ladder braid! While it will take longer than your typical French braid, it's well worth the added effort. The finished result looks intricate and pretty and is guaranteed to turn heads. So, roll up your sleeves and follow the instructions below to create a braid that is sure to receive tons of compliments!
1. Create a side part. Starting on the heavy side, pick up a piece of hair and divide it into three parts.
2. Cross the lower strand over the middle strand.
3. Then cross the upper strand over the middle strand.
4. Now drop the lower strand, and pick up a new strand right next to it; cross the new strand over the middle strand. This is called a waterfall braid. Continue the same way diagonally across the head, incorporating hair normally into the upper strand and dropping the lower strand, picking up a new strand right next to it as if you're doing a half-up waterfall braid.
5. When you reach the other side, continue a normal three-strand braid without incorporating more hair. Secure it temporarily with a clip or a hair elastic.
6. Now go back to the side you started from and pick up a piece of the front hair just beneath the waterfall braid; divide it into three sections.
7. Start a French braid, and when you incorporate hair from above to join with the upper strand, take the strands of hair from the waterfall braid that you dropped before.
8. When you incorporate hair into your lower strand, take hair from underneath as you normally would do. Keep braiding this way until you reach the opposite side.
9. When you reach the other side, join the two braids together and secure them with an elastic.
10. For a more polished look, hide the elastic with some hair and secure the braids in place with a bobby pin.
For more tutorials like this one, check out my blog, Yet Another Beauty Site.