If you are anything like me, you are most likely scouring Pinterest for new, fun, and easy hairstyles. For months I kept coming across the Julianne Hough hairstyle from the 19th Annual Elle Awards, so I decided to do an easy tutorial on this ever so popular hairstyle. With braids still all the rage right now, try this fun knotted technique instead of a braid this fall.
This hairstyle will work for mid to long length of hair and all types of hair textures. Watch my video and follow my easy step-by-step directions in order to achieve this look.
- Start with dry hair.
- Section out a diamond shaped section on top of your head a couple of inches away from your hairline
- Utilizing a knot technique take a 2-inch section at the front of the hairline.
- Split in half, creating a knot, then take another section of hair split in half incorporating the hair with the previous knot.
- Repeat this technique until you get to the ends of the hair and secure with an elastic.
- Don't add the hair around the ear section into your knots.
- Repeat this technique on the other side.
- Release the top diamond section and tease hair for texture and volume.
- Split the back hair in three sections and lightly tease each section.
- Twist each section to below the crown area and pin into place with a bobby pin.
- Drop top section and twist the ends and pin into place near the crown using a bobby pin.
- Now take any of your remaining ends and get creative. Twist the ends into fun barrel curl shapes and secure the ends with a bobby pin.
- Take side sections and loosely pull back to the crown area, twist the ends and secure with a bobby pin.
- Massage some hair out of the updo for an erratic texture.
- Finish this look off with a medium hold hair spray.
For more hair tutorials visit Jenny at Confessions of a Hairstylist.
Photo: s_bukley / Shutterstock.com