This side ponytail updo can be worn as an everyday hair style. I like it with texture so it gets a bit of that messy Amy Winehouse look. (Try this with second-day hair with second-day curls!) If it's for a night out or something special, pair this hair style with simple, modern makeup, including a winged eyeliner to emphasize the retro look. Follow the steps below, and you will create this look in no time!
1. If starting with second-day hair, use dry shampoo on the crown to freshen up the hair and to get some extra texture. If you have newly washed hair, this step is extra important since you need to create some texture. Spray it on the roots of the crown but also a light spray on the length of the hair.
2. Backcomb the hair on the crown to get some volume. Spray the backcombing with some hair spray to get a good hold.
3. Smooth out the surface, and create a little poof that you secure in place with two bobby pins that you cross over each other for extra hold.
4. Take some hair from both sides, and start twisting the hair, hiding the bobby pins as you twist. Secure the start of the twist with a bobby pin.
5. Continue to twist the hair all the way down to the side of your neck. Make sure you incorporate all the hair.
6. Secure the twisted hair with bobby pins going parallel with the twist. If you want even more texture in the ponytail, curl it and break up the curls with your hand.
For more hair tutorials and hair inspiration, visit Ulrika at Yet Another Beauty Site.