Allen Ruiz, Aveda global styling director, created a sleek style for Ann Yee’s New York Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2014 show.
Yee said she was inspired by the current economic state of Detroit, Michigan, and the city’s survivalist spirit. Yee's collection, named Resurgence, combines the structured, metallic elements in a nod to the auto industry with angular silhouettes inspired by the skyline.
Ruiz took this inspiration and gave us an edgy street style combined with modern elegance that can be worn for any occasion.
Follow these steps to look runway ready any day:
1. Start with dry hair. Mist hair with a preparation spray like Aveda Pure Abundance Style Prep to make the hair easier to work with, then blow dry straight with a round brush, giving it the texture needed for this look.
2. Separate hair into three sections (left, middle, right). Prep the two side sections with a style foam such as Aveda Phomollient Styling Foam.
3. Gather one side section at the temple and begin weaving a tight braid down to the nape of the neck. Secure the ends with a clear hair tie.
4. Repeat on opposite side. then tie together both sections at the nape of the neck.
5. Gather the top half of the middle section, roll toward the middle of the head, then pin it into a structured twist that just touches the braid behind the ear.
6. Flat iron the rest of the hair and arrange so it falls over the shoulders and covers the clear hair ties at the ends of the braids.
7. Give the style a long lasting hold with a firm hold hair spray like Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray.
8. Finish with a fine mist of Aveda Brilliant Spray Shine to eliminate flyaways.
Photos: Aveda Corporation