The metallic shadows will still catch and reflect light the way glitter does, but in a more modern way. I am using Stila’s new Magnificent Metals Foil Finish Eye Shadow in Comex Copper.
These are lovely, but there are a few things to know before using them:
- Mix together the included primer and a small amount of pigment before applying.
- Use your fingers, not a brush, to pat on the shadow. If you use a brush, even a synthetic one, it becomes chunky and flakes off. Trust me, I’ve tried!
- If you run out of the primer, eye drops work just as well. I used some gel tears eye drops and they worked perfectly.
If you don’t have access to the Stila shadows, no worries! If you have a highly-metallic powder shadow, wet a flat shader brush with either eye drops, makeup setting spray, or even water, and build the color by carefully pressing on layers of shadow. Applying a powder shadow wet will always amp up its pigment and vibrancy to enhance the finish.
Check out the video tutorial below to create this look.
The products I used to create this look are:
- LORAC Pro Palette
- Chopper and Booty Call from Urban Decay Naked 2 palette
- Stila Magnificent Metals Foil Finish Eyeshadow in Comex Copper
- Buxom Hold the Liner Waterproof Eyeliner in Call Me
- mark Get in Line Liquid Eyeliner in Painted Black
- Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes mascara
- Make Up For Ever Aqua Lip Liner in 3C
- OCC Lip Tar in Memento
Follow these step-by-step directions to achieve a copper metallic eye.
- Begin with a primed eyelid. Apply a matte, warm brown, like Taupe from the LORAC Pro Palette, to your crease with a fluffy crease brush.
- Next, pat a shimmery copper shadow, like Urban Decay’s Chopper, all over your lid.
- Follow by using a shimmery ivory, such as Booty Call from Urban Decay to highlight the brow bone and inner corner of the eye.
- Mix a copper pigment with a liquid or primer. Sterile eye drops work well. I am using Stila’s Magnificent Metals Foiled Eye eyeshadow in Comex Copper. Using your finger, not a brush, pat all over yout lid, building up in layers to achieve a foiled, liquid metal-like finish.
- Use a black pencil liner to fill in your inner rim of your eye and smudge liner along your lower lash line with a pencil brush. Using a black liquid liner, draw a winged line on your top lash line. Coat both your top and bottom lashes with mascara.
- Line your lips with a nude lip liner. Fill in your lips with a peachy nude lip color like OCC Lip Tar in Memento.