Smoky eyes and nude lips go together like waffles and syrup. One enhances the other and makes the whole look just that much better. But nude lips can be tricky: Some can be too pale, others not nude enough, and if the shade doesn't work with your skin tone? Forget it. Well, I'm here to tell you that you can go nude! The secret is finding the right shade for you, and it has everything to do with skin tone. A perfect nude lipstick should be your lip color, only polished up a bit. For that reason, you don't want to veer too far from your natural undertone by choosing a nude peppered with a little pink, peach, or chocolate. Here are the three skin tones and colors that work best for each.
If you have a yellow/olive tone, you want to stay in the same warm family for your nude lip. Choosing a lip color that's too cool/mauve will only contrast against your skin and the effect will be anything but subtle and natural.
For yellow or olive skin tones: Peachy Nudes
1. Tarte Glamazon Pure Performance 12-Hr Lipstick in Pure
2. Sephora Cream Lip Stain in Infinite Rose
3. Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Liar
If you're a rosy posy girl, you'll want to avoid anything in the peachy family as it will only read orange on you. You'll want to take a cue from your natural pink tones and choose a nude with the same undertones.
For pink undertones: Pinky Nudes
1. L'Oreal Colour Riche Fairest Nude
2. NARS Lipstick in Cruising
3. Tarte Glamazon Pure Performance 12-Hr Lipstick in Inspired
4. Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Pink Truffle
If your skin tone is deeper, or really has no obvious pink or yellow cast to it, you can indulge in the chocolatey nudes. These tones shift neither warm nor cool and flatter the lucky ladies with a neutral skin tone.
For deep skin/neutral skin tones: Chocolate Nudes
1. Maybelline Color Sensation Lipcolor in Touchable Taupe
2. Bite Beauty Luminous Creme Lipstick in Muscat
3. bareMinerals Marvelous Moxie Lipstick in Finish First
For more makeup and skincare tips from Ivy, go to Wake Up for Makeup.