One of the hottest looks in makeup actually involves using very little makeup at all: natural makeup. To achieve an "I woke up like this" look, you'll still need the help of a few products. Don't worry, though—it's as easy to do as it appears!
The easiest way to look natural is to use matte textures and lightweight formulas. Anything with shimmer or glitter will appear artificial.
Here's a video to show you how to put on makeup for a natural look.
Or follow these steps:
- Spray your face with a refreshing, facial spray like Evian Facial Spray. This will hydrate and give your skin a naturally healthy appearance.
- You'll want to even out your skin tone, but skip foundation for a less made-up look. Instead, a BB or CC cream like Smashbox Camera Ready CC Cream is just enough coverage. Apply with fingers.
- Next, spot-conceal any areas with prominent darkness, blemishes or scarring. I'm using the Stila Stay All Day concealer. Using a CC cream and concealer only where you need it will give you a more natural look than foundation alone.
- Set your face with a translucent powder like Tarte Amazonian Clay Setting Powder. You don't want to add more color so make sure your setting powder is translucent.
- Now, even out your eyelids with an ivory cream shadow like Maybelline Color Tattoo in Barely Branded. It's okay if it has subtle shimmer, but avoid glitter or sparkles.
- Next, take a matte bronzer like NYC Smooth Skin Bronzing Powder in Sunny and apply to the crease of the eye with a fluffy blending brush. This will add subtle definition but still appear natural.
- Use bronzer to dust over the places on your skin that sun would naturally hit: the forehead, cheeks, and temples.
- Define eyelashes with a dark brown mascara that uses a plastic comb style wand for separation. Boots No7 Extreme Length Mascara in Brown/Black has the perfect wand and thin formula for a natural look.
- You'll want to subtly define your brows to frame your face, but keep a soft look. Benefit Gimme Brow is a fiber gel that does just that.
- To add ever-so-subtle color to lips, apply a tinted balm like Smith's Rosebud Salve. For extra credit, dab the salve onto the high points of your cheekbones as well to act as a non-shimmery, natural highlight.
- Mist your face with Evian facial spray one last time to give a dewy, hydrated look and meld everything together.
For more makeup tutorials from Ivy, go to Wake Up for Makeup.