Also, think of this as my fantasy wedding makeup. I got married more than four years ago to the best guy I know. I did my own makeup, but looking back, though it wasn’t offensive, it simply wasn’t enough. Here is what I would have done if I could get a makeup do-over!
When doing your own bridal makeup remember these tips:
- Using a foundation without SPF will prevent the unpleasant flashback effect in photos.
- It’s best to keep the eyes mostly matte with carefully placed shimmer. Shimmery shadow can appear very frosty and unnatural in photos.
- Even if you do not normally define your brows, you will want to do so. Use a powder if pencil seems too harsh. The ends of brows can disappear in flash photography. Plus, it will frame your whole face and give you a more youthful appearance.
- Subtle highlighting and contouring will pay off in your photos.
- Use a bit more blush than you think. Flash photography can wash you out.
- Avoid overly glossed lips as it will require a great deal of maintenance throughout the day.
- Use a setting spray to seal in your look, especially if it will be hot and humid.
Watch my video below to achieve this look!
Here's a rundown of the step-by-step directions from the video:
- Prime your eyelids with an eyeshadow primer, then prime the rest of your face with a foundation primer. Conceal any undereye circles with a cream concealer.
- Apply a photo-ready foundation with an airbrush foundation brush. Set your foundation with a translucent setting powder.
- Contour your cheekbones and jaw line using a bronzer and an angled brush. Add color to your cheeks with powder blush, then add highlights to the tops of your cheekbones and cupid’s bow using a second shade of blush.
- Fill in your brows using a brow pencil.
- Define the crease of your lid with a light warm brown matte shadow, then apply a rosy brown tone to lid. Apply a darker brown to the outer third of the eye, making a "V" shape. Use a blending brush to diffuse the color. I used the In The Know palette from Stila.
- Apply a dark brown waterproof pencil liner to the top lashline.
- Highlight the brow bone and inner corner of the eye with a light shadow, then highlight the inner corner more with a very light shimmery eyeshadow.
- Apply mascara, then add false eyelash strips to make your eyes really pop!
- Line the entire mouth with a nude lip liner, then apply a creamy, pinky nude lip color like Buxom Full Bodied Lipstick in Two Timer. Dab a bit of gloss in the center of mouth to finish.
Find more makeup inspiration from Ivy at Wakeup for Makeup!