After coming up with this nail art design I felt a lot like an tribal artist. I loved the way the bold lines of the basket weave design light up the other two dull colors. The full weave design on the ring finger almost looks 3D if you paint on the lines correctly. All together, this design is thought provoking and interesting to look at.
Like most nail art designs, the basket weave can look a little complicated and intimidating. But with a little practice you're sure to knock it out of the park. When creating the basket weave lines, don't worry if they're not perfectly straight. Personally, I like it better when they're not. I think it makes the design look more realistic and gives your nails a textured look.
Follow these step-by-step instructions below to create your basket weave nail art design!
1. Paint all your nails with two thin coats of a light pink polish.
2. Paint half of each nail with brown polish—but skip the ring finger if you want to do that one in the full basket weave design. You can try freehand painting the brown or use tape to create a straighter line. Paint the middle and thumb nails slanted and the pointer and pinky finger vertical.
3. Separate the brown and pink polish with a black line in between them using a nail art brush.
4. Start the basket weave design on your ring finger. Begin by painting two diagonal parallel lines in the middle of the nail.
5. Still working on your ring finger, paint two more lines in the middle of the nail on either side of and running perpendicular to the initial lines you painted. These shorter lines should run just from the edge of your nail to the long lines—don't go through the long lines.
6. Now fill in the basket weave lines. On one side of the nail, create perpendicular lines and on the other, create parallel lines as shown.
7. On all your other nails, create half basket weave designs as shown. Make sure to mix it up for a 3D effect!
8. Finish with a clear topcoat to seal everything.
Watch this video tutorial to see a step-by-step guide on how to create this basket weave nail art design.
For more video tutorials from Jocelyn visit Polishpedia!