If you’ve ever searched for nail art inspiration on the Internet, chances are you will have come across some cosmic-looking manicures that are known as Galaxy or Nebula nails. They look positively out of this world and it’s much easier to do than you might think. I know I say that all the time but it’s true! All you need are a few shades of nail polish, a make-up sponge, tweezers, a dotting tool, and a nail art brush.
Follow the directions below to create this galaxy design.
- Start by painting on your base coat and letting it dry completely.
- Tear off a small piece of the sponge and grip it in the tweezers.
- Next dab out the colors on to a piece of paper and dip the sponge in the paint. You only need a small amount on the sponge; it's best to build up the color than to splat on too much straight away! Use a fresh piece of sponge for each color.
- Start adding your colors by dabbing the sponge on to your nail in random patterns. Then add another color! Then another! I sometimes go through my selection of colors twice to make sure I get a really good mix of them on the nail.
- Add just a little bit of shimmer here and there.
- Next add the stars. Create the shiny stars by painting on a little cross, then joining up all four points with a curve. Using a dotting tool, add some smaller stars of different sizes.
- Then add a top coat to smooth everything over and make the whole thing dry.
- Clean up the messy bits around your cuticles using a nail art brush dipped in nail polish remover.
- Lastly, add a coat of of matte polish to finish off the look.
Here are some tips for perfect galaxy nail art:
- Use small sections of sponge to dab on your polish so that you have better control over where your colors are going.
- Have a shimmery, holographic or glittery polish on hand to create depth in your nail art.
- Galaxy nails look great both in dark and mysterious or light and pastel-tone color schemes.
- Always add a clear top coat to smooth over your nail art.
For more nail art inspiration, visit Sammy at The Nailasaurus!