How do you know if your skin condition is the result of something basic –like a rash caused by a new detergent—or goes below the surface and into your psyche? Find out with this quiz designed by Ted Grossbart, PhD, an assistant clinical professor of psychology at Harvard Medical School and author of Skin Deep: A Mind/Body Program for Healthy Skin.
Ask yourself the following questions. The more you answer yes, the more likely it is that you can improve your skin condition by focusing on your mind.
1. Do your symptoms get worse—or better—with emotional turmoil?
2. Is your condition more stubborn, severe, or recurrent than your doctor expects?
3. Are usually effective treatments not working for you?
4. Do most treatments work but not for long?
5. Is each disappearing symptom quickly replaced with another?
6. Do your symptoms get better or worse in a very erratic, seemingly nonsensical way?
7. Do you see striking ups and downs in your symptoms with changes in your social environment: vacations, hospitalizations, business trips, or the comings of family members or bosses?