2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon 5-spice powder
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
4 6- to 8-ounce skinless salmon fillets
2 plums, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar (or ume plum vinegar)
Pea shoots or watercress for garnish
1. In a large shallow dish, mix the marinade ingredients, and coat the salmon with it. This can be done just before grilling or up to one hour before. Refrigerate salmon while it marinates.
2. Heat a charcoal or gas grill until medium hot. Lightly oil the grill with tongs holding paper towels dipped in oil. Grill salmon 4 to 6 minutes on each side.
3. Slice cucumber lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Thinly slice crosswise. You should have about 2 cups. Combine with plums and vinegar. Place a salmon fillet on each of 4 plates and top with the cucumber salad. Garnish with pea shoots or watercress.
Chicken Paillards with a Big Salad
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 pinch red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons chopped rosemary
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin, or thinly sliced cutlets
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4- to -inch-thick slices, rings kept intact
Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
5 cups loosely packed baby arugula
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1/4 cup oil-cured black olives, pitted and halved
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Parmesan cheese shavings
1. In a large shallow dish, combine garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, olive oil and rosemary. Marinate chicken for 15 minutes or up to 2 hours, refrigerated. Remove excess marinade from chicken, and discard. Season with the salt and pepper.
2. Heat a charcoal or gas grill until hot. Lightly oil the grill with tongs holding paper towels dipped in oil. Brush the intact onion pieces with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Carefully place on grill. Grill 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until translucent. Alternatively, use a grill basket to cook the onions. The point is to keep them from falling through the grates. Set aside in a bowl to cool slightly while you cook the chicken. Grill chicken breasts 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until lightly charred and cooked through.
3. In a large bowl, combine arugula, tomatoes, olives and grilled onions. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss well. Place a grilled chicken breast on each of 4 plates, and top with the salad. Top the salad with shaved Parmesan.
First published in MORE, July – August 2010. For more grilling tips and tricks click here