Why I Can't Find a Day Job

by Carine Nadel • More.com Member { View Profile }

It’s obvious now.

I’ve figured out why I am not finding a “day job.” I really have.

It has nothing to do with my age, my resume or my lack of computer skills.

What it does have to do with it life. I don’t know why I couldn’t figure it out earlier—it really is as plain as the proverbial nose on one’s face.

Let’s take a look at just the last year:

Last July, it seemed that I was forever being called into action to mediate family squabbles about people’s lack of money management skills. I was also actually asked to come along and look at perspective new homes for those that had good money management.

Oh and there was that eight months of construction and fun on those two bathrooms.

August. I believe last August I was watching grandkids for several weekends, babysitting on some evenings and running errands for those who were working fulltime jobs and had no time to do some of the “emergency” runs for themselves. And, oh yes,  the bathroom remodeling project.

September. I spent part of it babysitting and running to Phoenix to lend moral support so that our daughter and son-in-law could go to interviews and get jobs FOR THEMSELVES. Don’t forget, still no tub or totally working toilet in the master bath.

October. Watched my son and daughter-in-law move out and leave me with the dreaded “empty nest syndrome” for almost a week. After which I completely took over the role of parenting our grandkids until the end of November. Did this while keeping them safe from the harm’s way of lollygagging plumbers, painters and cabinet-makers. Oh my!

November. Read above.

December. Got my annual case of “the world’s worst bronchitis attack” and rheumatoid arthritis flares all at the same time.

January. That was a fun month. While taking a very innocent power walk and figuring out how to write several upcoming articles at the same time (okay, I was also listening to my IPod Shuffle) I fell and removed many layers of skin from one knee, dislocated part of a shoulder and broke my hand. I was in some sort of a Tramadol fog until mid-February. I did manage to finally got rid of the contractors.

February. Went to Vegas with hubby and our son and daughter-in-law on their business trip and then veered off to Phoenix to spend some time and sing Happy Birthday to the grandkids. See above for the rest.

March. Besides continuing to write a lot while in pain, I was in a lot of physical/occupational therapy and going to a whole lotta doctors appointment.

April and May. My son’s marriage was practically upon us. It was officially wedding crunch time. I spent the time looking for a dress, bridal shower, looking for a dress, rehearsal dinner, wedding, all the rest-oh and I was taken on a Mother’s Day cruise.

June. Nephew’s graduation. I was also having a stretch with a run of high blood pressure and was told to keep things as calm as possible.

And now here’s July again. We babysat our furry grandkids. Good thing, our grand-border collie, Lily, let us know that our own darling lab-mix, Sunshine, was really SICK! Ick. Spent a day sterilizing the floors and tending to the sick pooch. It was a day at the vet next, where I was told I have to minister small meals and meds three times a day for the next eight days.

Coming up: There’s the colonoscopy, the dentist, the dermatologist and the rheumatologist.

I can’t get a “day job”; I’m too busy working…


Share Your Thoughts!


Post new comment

Click to add a comment