From holiday gatherings to dinner parties, dressing up can be an event within itself. And when it comes to a festive outfit, a little sparkle can go a long way. This is where sequins, ribbon, and glue come to the rescue. These materials can be used to turn a basic pair of shoes into ultra-glam heels. It also doesn't hurt that this easy DIY hack calls for beginner-level skills. Needless to say, it's an awesome way to give old footwear another shot in the spotlight.
- 3/8-inch wide grosgrain ribbon
- Stretch sequin trim
- Hot glue gun
Grosgrain ribbon can be purchasd by the yard or in spools. You'll only need a small amount for this project; one yard is more than enough. While you can use also satin ribbon, grosgrain doesn't fray as much.
Choose a sequin trim that has a decent amount of stretch. This will make it easier to slip your heels on and off. You can buy stretch sequin trim by the yard at most fabric and trimming stores. Like the grosgrain ribbon, one yard is enough for this DIY.
1. Cut two strips of ribbon long enough to create loops around the sequin trim. Each loop should fit snugly—not tightly. There should be an extra 1/2 inch at each end. This will provide enough room for the glue.
2. Using hot glue, connect the ends of each strand together. This will create a loop. Remember, a small amount of glue goes a long way. A small dot will do. As always, watch your fingers while working with hot glue.
3. Hot glue the loop of ribbon along the inside of the shoe. It should sit right behind your heel. Try the shoe on to make sure it feels comfortable.
4. Cut a strip of stretchy sequin trim long enough to fit comfortably around your ankle. The ends should overlap by about 1/2 inch. Your best bet is to cut a segment longer than you think is necessary. From there, you can trim it down accordingly. Insert the trim through the loop and hot glue the ends together. Press to secure. Repeat with the second shoe.
You can use this simple trick to transform plain heels that need an extra little something. While this project used black sequin trim to match the heels, you don't have to do the same. Feel free to use sequin trim in a different color for a sparkly contrast. Now, where's the party?