Honestly, it’s hot out there. It’s summer, I get it, but we on the East coast have been in humidity-ville for some time now. What to wear? Breezy whites, from loose linen slacks to simple frocks. The look is clean and crisp, and when paired with neutral shoes and bags (brown, tan, taupe), it makes a classic summer style statement. The dilemma, of course, is what to wear underneath. This, my friends, is what we need to discuss. When wearing white, you need to wear nude undergarments. Not white, not pink not peach, and certainly not black, because all of those colors will show through. And when I say show through, I mean that the distraction of the roadmap to your undergarments takes away from the chicness of what you’re actually wearing. It’s quite simple, really. Flesh tone bras and panties will blend into your skin and disappear under your clothes. Other undergarment tips for the summer season? I spoke to my good friend and all-around expert Lynn Riggio (she owns Allure Lingerie, in New York City, with her sister Janice Telvi) and here’s her list of what to buy:
- Look for summer bras with pretty straps—that way, when they slip out from underneath your tops or dresses, they look pretty.
- Invest in shapewear—summer fabrics (silk knits, jersey) will make every outing a game of peek-a-boo if you don’t keep things sucked in.
- Buy at least one t-shirt bra (smooth, seamless) for wearing under plain t-shirts and anything else that clings.
- Use slips! You know how your skirts and dresses attach to your thighs after you’ve been sitting for too long (thanks, perspiration)? A slip is the cure.
- Try silicone bra inserts. If your cups do not naturally runneth over, add these for a little extra oomph.
Now I will say this: For those of you who are risk takers, who work in offices where anything goes when it comes to wardrobe, who love an edgy/sexy look, by all means you should wear green neon bras under your sheerest whites. For the rest of you? Nude up.
Go! Buy! Be Chic!
Don’t miss out on MORE great articles like this one. Click here to sign up for our weekly newsletter!