It’s been one month since the MORE Half-Marathon and over eight since I took on the challenge of stepping outside of my sluggish comfort zone. Yes, I got a medal, but I also got some insight into capturing a more fitness-friendly lifestyle. Let’s talk about shopping...
If you want to maximize fitness by joining a gym, you must be a great shopper. This is especially true if you have every excuse in the book not to exercise, because a bad gym experience will only increase that arsenal. Thankfully, after many disappointing experiences, I found a terrific fit. Here are five tips that can help you get there too.
1. Use The Free Week. Most gyms will give you a free pass to try their facility. Take it. No matter how beautiful it is, don’t assume anything is a perfect fit until you’ve given it a week. First impressions are notorious for being wrong.
2. Try Different Times Of The Day. Examine the traffic patterns in the gym and on the road to it. If you can’t get on a machine, book a class, or find parking, move on.
3. Ask Questions. You’re the consumer. Examine the fine print regarding your options and financial commitment including cancellation fees.
4. Pay Attention. Do the people at the check-in desk notice or recognize you? How are others treated?
5. Trust Your Gut. If you are uncomfortable during the trial week, try another facility. Sure, you might feel more comfortable as time goes on, but there’s a good chance there’s a better fit for you. Continue to shop...