Turn them into: A Breakfast Banana Split
Ingredients: – 1 cup of yogurt – 1 cup of granola – 1 banana – Sliced apples or fresh berries
1. Slice banana lengthwise.
2. Pour yogurt between banana halves.
3. Sprinkle granola on top.
4. Add sliced apples and fresh berries as you wish.
5. Drizzle with chocolate.
Makes one serving
Recipe adapted from Bear Naked.
Turn them into: Apple Berry Breakfast Crisp
Filling: – 4 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (about 4 medium size) – 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries or sliced strawberries – 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar – 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed – 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour – 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Topping: – 1 cup rolled or quick oats – cup firmly packed brown sugar – 1/3 cup (5 teaspoons plus 1 teaspoon) margarine or butter, melted – 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8-inch square glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. For filling, combine all ingredients in large bowl; stir until fruit is evenly coated. Spoon fruit into baking dish.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm with yogurt, if desired.
Makes 9 servings
Recipe courtesy of Quaker Oats Company.
Turn it into: A Fruity Morning Muesli
Ingredients: – 2 cups rolled or quick oats – 2 cups apple juice or apricot nectar – 1 cups sliced fresh fruit (any combination of banana, peaches, nectarines or strawberries) – one 8 ounce carton vanilla low-fat yogurt – 2 tablespoons chopped nuts (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients, except nuts and mix well.
2. Cover; refrigerate 8 hours overnight.
3. Serve cold; sprinkle with nuts if desired. Refrigerate in airtight container up to 4 days.
Makes 4 servings
Recipe courtesy of Quaker Oats Company.
Turn it into: Peanut Butter Parfait
Ingredients: – 1 6oz container of vanilla yogurt – 1 cup chopped fruit (suggestions: pineapples, strawberries, bananas, raspberries or blueberries) – 1/4 cup peanut butter spread – 2 tablespoons of warm water – 2 tablespoons honey – 1/2 cup of granola cereal with raisins
1. Spoon half of yogurt into two glasses. Place half of chopped fruit on top of the yogurt.
2. Separately, stir honey, peanut butter and water together until smooth. Drizzle half of this mixture on top of the yogurt and fruit layers in the glasses.
3. Top this layer with half of the granola cereal.
4. Repeat steps with the remaining yogurt, fruit, granola and peanut-butter-honey mixture. Serve immediately.
Makes 2 servings.
Recipe Courtesy of Smuckers.
Turn it into: Pineapple Upside-Down Pancakes
Ingredients: – 2 cups of a crunchy, granola-type cereal, slightly crushed – 1 cup whole-wheat flour – cup quick-cooking oats – 1 teaspoon baking soda – teaspoon nutmeg – 1 cups low fat organic buttermilk – 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup – 2 tablespoons expeller-pressed canola oil – 1/4 cup organic pineapple juice (use the juice saved from crushed pineapples below) – 2 large free-range eggs (or an egg substitute) – 1 8oz can crushed organic pineapples, drained (save juice for above.) – Optional toppings: sliced bananas, vanilla yogurt, maple syrup
1. In a large mixing bowl, add the first 5 dry ingredients together. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the next five ingredients. Set crushed pineapple aside.
2. Fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture until combined. Refrigerate batter for at least one hour so the ingredients combine completely and batter thickens (you can also refrigerate the batter overnight).
3. Coat griddle or large skillet with non-stick spray and heat pan over medium heat. Scoop about 1/4 cup of pancake batter onto heated pan, leaving enough room between pancakes to allow spreading. Drop a heaping tablespoon of crushed pineapple in the middle of each pancake and cook for about 45 seconds or until tops of pancakes bubble and edges begin to firm up.
4. Carefully turn the pancakes over and continue to cook for an additional minute or until golden brown.
5. Serve with pineapple side up, topping each pancake with your choice of topping.
Makes 24 pancakes
Recipe courtesy of Kashi.
Turn it into: Breakfast Crunch Cookies
Ingredients: – 4 cups of a crunchy, granola-type cereal – 1 teaspoon baking powder – 1/4 cup egg substitute or 1 organic egg white – teaspoon cinnamon – cup evaporated cane juice crystals – 2/3 cup dried organic cranberries – Nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Pulse cereal in food processor about 10 times. Add baking powder, egg substitute, cinnamon and sugar. Process for about 20 seconds or until the mixture is tacky and well blended. Stir in cranberries.
3. Spray a 1/4-cup measuring cup with nonstick cooking spray. Place a piece of foil on a cookie sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Use measuring cup to drop 1/4-cup mounds of cookie mixture onto foil. Spray the bottom of a glass with non-stick cooking spray and flatten the cookies by pressing down gently with the bottom of the glass.
5. Bake for 10-13 minutes. Be careful not to over bake, the cookies will come out a bit soft in the middle but will harden as they cool. Store in an airtight container.
Makes 12 cookies
Recipe courtesy of Kashi.
Turn it into: Berries and Cream Hot Cereal
Ingredients: – 1 quart (4 cups) of fat-free milk – ¾ cup creamy wheat (enriched farina) hot cereal, uncooked – 1/4 cup sugar – 1/3 cup whipped cream cheese spread – 2 cups of blueberries
1. Bring milk to boil in a medium saucepan on high heat.
2. Gradually, add cereal and sugar. Stir constantly until well blended.
3. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
4. Add cream cheese spread; cook until cream cheese spread is melted and mixture is well blended, stirring frequently.
5. Add blueberries and stir gently until well blended. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings
Recipe courtesy of Kraft Foods Company.
Turn it into: Sweet-Almond-Orange-Topped Toast
Ingredients: – 1/4 cup chopped toasted whole almonds – cup golden raisins – 1/4 cup of honey – 8 oz reduced fat cream cheese – 1 teaspoon orange zest – 1 pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook almonds for 5-7 minutes on a cookie sheet until fragrant. Remove and let cool to touch.
2. Add cream cheese, raisins, orange zest, and honey into a food processor. Pulse to combine. Scrape down sides if needed.
3. Add almonds and pulse to combine nuts into cream cheese mixture.
4. Refrigerate for at least one hour to allow flavors to combine.
5. Toast two slices of whole-wheat bread and spread generously.
Recipe courtesy of Thomas’ Bagels.
Turn it into: A High-Energy Smoothie
Ingredients: – 2 cups frozen cherries or berries – 1 cup coconut milk yogurt, vanilla or chocolate flavor – 1 cup coconut milk, vanilla flavor – 1 cup brewed coffee (room temperature)
Put all ingredients in a blender, mix to the consistency of your liking. Makes 1 serving.
Recipe courtesy of Turtle Mountain.NEXT: