Okay, just what is the Mediterranean Diet? It consists of an eating pattern dominated by plant -based foods, and low in processed foods; it includes the monounsaturated fat Olive Oil rather than butter and other vegetable oils; it includes fresh fish eaten regularly rather than red meat, which is eaten less frequently; it includes legumes, pasta, whole grains (all the carbohydrates we love but avoid), with a high intake of fruits and vegetables and a small amount of daily yogurt and cheeses. Oh lest I forget, it does include a moderate amount of wine with meals.
Starting next week with Olive Oil, we’ll take a closer look at the merits of some of these foods. I will also post on my website a few weekly recipes using the foods that we discuss (with our weight management efforts in mind) so that we can begin to "Mangia" as we say in Italian! And as I’ve mentioned, oh what a way to get healthy!
Check out the Mediterranean Food Alliance founded by Oldways for more info including hundreds of recipes, http://mediterraneanmark.org/
June M. Lay M.S.
Next Week, Olive Oil, my oil of choice!
Follow me every Sunday on Twitter for a new tool taken my book. AND my screensaver program "Focus on the Tools" is now available for PC users. It features rotating flashing tools from my program with beautifully photographed healthy salads in the background. There’s even a calendar that shows the month and date! Reinforce healthy eating habits and stay motivated to change while at your computer. Click here for more info http://www.junefit.com/serviceshp.htm
Junefit is included in Google’s top ranked women’s health resources http://directory.google.com/Top/Health/Women’s_Health/Resources/
June is Lifestyle Columnist at www.healthnewsdigest.com/
- Denis Lairon; Intervention studies on Mediterranean diet and cardiovascular risk, Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, Volume 51, Issue 10 , Pages1209 - 1214
Copyright © 2007
- Ursel Wahrburg, Mario Kratz, Paul Cullen ; Mediterranean diet, olive oil and health, European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology., Volume 104, Issue 9-10 , Pages 698 -705 © 2002
- Beauchamp, et.al., Ibuprofen-like activity in extra virgin olive oil, Monell Chemical Senses Center, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia and Department of Chemistry. University of Pennsylvania, reported in Brief Communications Nature Vol 437, September 2005
- Antonia Trichopoulou, Vardis Dilis ;Olive oil and longevity, Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, Volume 51, Issue 10 , Pages1275 - 1278. Copyright © 2007
- World Cancer Research Fund/AICR, The Mediterranean Diet, Judgments and Evidence, Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity and the Prevention of Cancer a Global Perspective 2007