SEO (Search Engine Optimization) experts will tell you that one of the most important things you can do to increase website traffic and improve search engine listings is to increase the number of backlinks to your website.
What is a backlink? Backlinks are incoming links to a website. Backlinks are also one way that Google determines PageRank in order to assess the popularity of a website. (Did you know PageRank actually refers to Larry Page, the inventor of the ranking algorithm?)
Wondering how your website ranks and how many backlinks there are to it? There’s nice backlink checker that also provides a ton of other info at iPageRank.org.
So, how can you boost backlinks?
1. Exchange links to your website with others. List them on your links page in exchange for them linking to you.
2. Article submissions. Writing articles in your area of expertise or about topics of interest are a great way to create backlinks. Ezine Articles is a great way to do this. You can check out some of my articles at Ezine as well.
3. Social sites (Facebook, Twitter and Myspace) and social bookmarking are also great ways to create backlinks, and it doesn’t have to be time consuming. Applications like Hootsuite and sites like Ping.fm allow you to propagate multiple sites. Make sure to bookmark important pages on your site to Digg, Delicious, and Stumbleupon, but also remember that social bookmarking is about being social. Share fun and interesting links as well via these sites.
4. Video submission sites are another manner in which to generate backlinks to your site and your uploaded videos.
5. Get listed at the various search directories like dmoz.org, Alexa, Google, Bing, and Yahoo. This will assist in making sure that these search engines spider your site. This will help boost where you appear in their listings.
6. Guest blogs and comments on blogs also help create backlinks to your site. While every blog/website has a different method for leaving comments, try to use choose the method that allows you to leave your name and URL.Try out these tips and see if your website traffic and rankings improve. It may take a few weeks, but you will see an improvement.