Ah, finally winter break. Finals are done, classes are over, and it's officially time to sloth around, catch up on both your sleep and Stranger Things episodes and prepare both your body and your mind for the upcoming semester, or so you had hoped. With the holiday season in full force and family members out the wazoo taking over every room in the house, break tends to look a lot different from how you originally had it all planned out.
Here are eight GIFs that explain what it's actually like to come home for winter break.
1. When you're home, all you want to do is rest. You just spent the entire semester going to class and cramming for finals and laying on the couch for hours sounds like just what the doctor ordered. But with the hoards of family coming over and plenty of things around the house to do, you can bet your parents will have something a little different planned for you.
P.S. We recommend answering the first time they call your name. You've been warned.
2. Who needs an alarm when you have younger siblings? Ugh. What is it about their seemingly unending amounts of (obnoxious) energy? Add that to the fact that they probably haven't seen their big sister/brother in months, and you can definitely kiss sleeping in goodbye.
3. You've been away from your high school friends for over four months by the time you come home for break. You all have grown up and matured in your ways and learned plenty of life skills by this point, right? Uh, not quite. It turns out that you all are still the same shit shows you were in high school. (TBH, some might have even regressed a bit.) But that's OK because it still means that a good time will be had by all!
4. We all know that college changes people. Upon coming back, you strut down the sidewalk of your hometown in the cutest new campus trend (because look at how fashionable you've gotten), and you just know that everyone is thinking how mature and grown-up you look after four months, or at least that is what you hoped.
In reality, everyone is constantly checking each other out and realizing that every single one of you fell victim to the dreaded "freshman 15." But hey, it happens to the best of us, so smile, hold your head high and remind yourself that you are still absolutely killing it!
5. Remember on graduation day when you were pretty sure you'd never seen your sophomore year English teacher again? That is until your mom ran out of eggs and needed you to go to the store, and it turns out that your former-teacher-who-nearly-failed-you is shopping in the same aisle...
6. College tends to be extremely busy, and many who were avid gym-goers in high school find themselves totally off of their former schedule, but winter break is the perfect time to get a head start on those New Year's resolutions and back into a workout routine. Until two weeks in when you realize that it's most definitely not happening.
7. Oh, and now that your parents are here to cook you home meals again, eating healthy is going to be so easy! (LOL)
8. And finally, winter break was going to be a time where you finally got to catch up on your Netflix and chilling (isolated in your room in a blanket burrito, of course). That is until you remembered with impending doom that summer was coming and you still hadn't started the job/internship search. So long Gilmore Girls revival and hello cover letters.