When it comes to your home, DIY decor can bring in so much personality. You can choose everything from the color scheme to the overall style. Thankfully, you don't have to be a skilled crafter in order to make this happen. Take these handmade speckled rope bowls, for example. They call for super simple materials and techniques. This means that you can take them on even if you're a beginner or a non-crafter. Trust me on this one.
You'll also do your wallet a serious favor. The DIY supplies are easy to find and the farthest thing from fancy. Plus, you can choose the colors used in the speckled pattern. For a minimalist look, use just one shade. You can even skip the paint completely. But if you're all about vibrant designs, use more than one color. Basically, you have the freedom to use shades that fits your style and space. This is exactly why DIY home decor is so awesome.
- Cotton rope
- Acrylic paint
- Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
1. Add hot glue to the end of the rope. Curl it inward to start a spiral shape.
2. Grow the spiral by applying hot glue along the outside edge. At this point, remind yourself to add rope along the side of the spiral - not the top. It will also be easier if you work on hard, flat surface like a table. This will give you enough support to create a sturdy base.
3. Make the spiral as big (or small) as you'd like. This base will determine the size of the bowl, so it's up to you! The wider the spiral, the bigger the bowl will be. Don't worry if the rope doesn't line up perfectly. It will all blend together once you're done.
4. To make the bowl's walls, glue the rope on top of itself. The spiral should start growing upward.
5. Cut the rope when you're happy with the bowl's depth. Shallow bowls work well for trinkets and jewelry, while deeper bowls are great for fruit and toiletries.
6. Apply a dab of hot glue to the raw end of the rope. This will stop it from unraveling and fraying. You can also use craft glue or clear nail polish to seal the end.
7. Using the paint brush, add specks of acrylic paint all over the bowl. Let dry completely.
And you're done! Super easy and incredibly stylish. What will you use your bowl for?