Taking your Basal Body Temperature (BBT) can be an important step towards determining your most fertile days, along with other physical factors such as cervical mucus, cervical position etc. Many Doctors recommend to take your BBT along with Ovulation Predictor Kits or Fertility Monitors for more accuracy. You can find an ovulation calculator and online ovulation calendars to help you chart your BBT.
Your BBT can be sensitive to external factors. To ensure that you take it as accurately as possible, follow the following recommendations:
- Take your temperature before doing anything else when you wake up in the morning
- Take your temperature at the same time every morning
- Take your temperature after a solid block of sleep, not after a small nap
- Take your temperature with a BBT thermometer. Any accurate thermometer can be used (digital are easier to use).
- You can take your temperature orally, vaginally or rectally. Be consistent throughout the cycle
- Record your temperature and the time you took it