Here are 3 Important FOOD TIPS to get you started:
1. Remember, you need an additional 300 calories a day (and that's NOT made up of 300 “extra” calories of junk food!). Make sure you LISTEN to your body (not your mind) and eat according to your true or should I say physical hunger - the one that's calling you from your belly, not your mind.
2. CHOOSE to put healthy food into your body. There are lots of pregnant women out there who get stuck in the junk food trap and then struggle with their weight afterwards. Don't get caught! It’s a lot easier putting weight on than taking weight off. So do your best to load your plate up with lots of fruit and vegetables, whole grains like brown rice and good quality protein like chicken.
3. Another great SECRET is to RECOGNIZE appropriate portion sizes. We gain fat, which is really just “stored energy”, when we eat too much food at one sitting. If you think of it this way…the body can only handle so much food at one time. When you eat too much, it spills over and goes into storage.
To help you out - here are some Easy Portion Guidelines:
• A serving of carbohydrates, such as brown rice, or whole-wheat pasta is about the size of a tennis ball.
• A serving of meat, poultry, or fish is about the size of a deck of cards.
• A serving of fruit (and starchy vegetables like carrots) is about the size of a fist.
• A serving of non-starchy vegetables like lettuce or cucumber is unlimited (yippee!).
Aim to eat less food, more frequently throughout the day and you'll be well on your way to 1) a healthy pregnancy, 2) healthy weight gain and energy levels and 3) easy weight loss AFTER you deliver.