Pickup lines are no longer reserved for guys. With new dating apps like Bumble challenging dating stereotypes, women are initiating relationships more than ever. With females now exercising the power to start leading conversations, it's important to know which pickup lines are actually worth trying.
Get to know the person:
Business Insider recently ran a brilliant data-backed piece that outlines the pickup lines with the highest success rates. Meaning, there really is a science to the pickup line, and much of the process is, get this, actually trying to get to know someone. While these messages don't seem like direct pickup lines, they open the door for flirty or deeper conversation. We have to admit it's a breath of fresh air.
The Business Insider article claims that for those ages 24–28 the sweet spot of pickup lines is with lifestyle references:
- Perfect week night: baseball game or dinner and drink?
- Would you rather: road-trip the U.S. or fly to Europe?
And daters in the age group 29–34 seek more personal answers:
- Two truths and a lie, go.
- Could you date someone that orders a plain bagel with plain cream cheese when they have other options?
Use direct, upfront questions:
Until very recently it was almost expected for men to start the conversation, but with the evolution of dating, many women now feel comfortable taking the reins. It's clear that men and women think differently, which also means they respond to inquiries differently. The Business Insider article digs into lines men are most likely to respond to: direct, to-the-point questions.
- Are you free on Thursday?
- Do you want to grab a drink this week?
Creativity is key:
Regardless of who initiates conversations, Business Insider claims that starting with "hey" is the wrong way to go. The opening line should inspire the counterpart to respond, and the more clever the better.
- Which would you rather do on a Friday night: hide under your covers and watch Netflix; shots, shots, shots; or casual dinner?
Sometimes the classics need to make a reappearance:
Okay, it wouldn't be a true pickup-line article without throwing in a few cheesy ones. While there is no data backing up the effectiveness of these pickup lines, it doesn't hurt to try them.
- Nice shirt—is it made of boyfriend material?
- Are you a parking ticket? 'Cause you've got fine written all over you.
- If you were a vegetable, you'd be a cute-cumber.
Even with the pressures of the first date, overcoming small talk, and sorting through the endless sea of noncompatible matches, dating should be a fun experience. The best way to attract somebody that you truly dig is by showing your true colors upfront. So no matter which pickup line you choose, you'll find someone whose personality is compatible with yours.