SCRAMBLED TOFU WITH BOK CHOY
Prep time: 22 minutes
Cooking time: 14 minutes
- 1 pound firm tofu, drained, patted dry and cut into chunks
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 head bok choy, about 1½ pounds,stems and leaves separated, all roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup sliced scallions, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds,for garnish
- Cooked brown rice, for serving
1. Put the tofu in a food processor, and puree until smooth. (This will take a couple of minutes; just let the machine run.) Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and pulse a few more times to mix well.
2. Put the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, add the bok choy stems, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they just lose their crunch, about 3 minutes. Add the greens, soy sauce and 3 tablespoons water; sprinkle with salt and pepper, and continue to cook until all the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the tofu, and continue cooking and stirring until it is heated through and as dry as you like it, anywhere from 4 to 6 minutes. Taste, adjust the seasoning, and garnish with the scallions and sesame seeds if you like. Serve over brown rice.
PASTA WITH EGGS AND KALE
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium leek, trimmed, well rinsed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces any pasta, preferably whole wheat
- 1½ pounds kale, stems and leaves separated, all roughly chopped
- 2 eggs
- ¼ to ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and salt it. Put the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the leek and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leek is very tender but not browned, about 10 minutes. Season with salt, and turn off the heat.
2. Add the pasta and kale stems to the boiling water, and cook about 5 minutes, then add the leaves. Continue to cook until the pasta and kale are tender but not mushy.
3. Meanwhile, warm a large bowl; beat eggs in the bowl. Stir in the leek mixture. When the pasta and kale are done, drain them, reserving some of the cooking water. Immediately toss them with the egg mixture, adding some of the cooking water if necessary. Add the Parmesan and plenty of black pepper; taste and adjust the seasoning, and serve.
BROWN RICE RISOTTO WITH WALNUTS AND GORGONZOLA
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Black pepper
- ½ cup dry white wine or water
- 3 to 5 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, and salt it. Stir in the brown rice, adjust the heat so that the water bubbles steadily, and cook, without stirring, for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
2. Put a large, deep skillet over medium heat. When it’s hot, add the walnuts and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 5 minutes; remove.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil to the skillet. A minute later, add the onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until it softens, about 5 minutes. Add the rice, and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is glossy and coated with oil, just a couple of minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then add the wine. Stir, and let the liquid bubble away.