Finding a Specialist for Your Perimenopause Symptoms

How to locate a specialist in your area

by Stacey Colino

Does your physician look blank when you talk about your perimenopausal problems? “One of the biggest struggles women face is finding clinicians who have the expertise and interest in managing perimenopausal and menopausal issues,” says Harvard’s JoAnn Manson. Now a doctor or nurse practitioner can undergo additional training and become certified as an NCMP (short for NAMS-certified menopause practitioner; NAMS stands for North American Menopause Society). To locate a specialist, go to the NAMS website (­ and click on the box (on the lower right) titled “Find a NAMS-Certified Menopause Practitioner ” or click here.

Photo courtesy of Kurhan/

Share Your Thoughts!


cds 06.22.2013

I'm 51 and having all sorts of non-specific things; such as, repeated sinus problems, inner ear full feeling, more frequent vertigo, major GERD attack,cyst, and having to go on antibiotic for one thing or another. This has never been typical of my health history. I'm a very conservative person when it comes to meds and doctors -- on the contrary, I have a very holistic approach when it comes to health and wellness. However, more recently I have had to agree to go on antibiotic just to finally get rid of something. Is this typical for some women during peri-menopause? Greatly appreciate any feedback.

Post new comment

Click to add a comment