Big, bouncy waves are always in style, but all great looks could stand an upgrade. This step-by-step tutorial takes finger waves and pin curls into the 21st century, so you can subtly sport a throwback without looking like you're in costume. To get started, arm yourself with a comb, a curler, a medium-hold hairspray, and a bunch of double-prong clips.
1. Create a deep side part.
2. Section off the front part of your hair from right behind your ear, and pull it forward.
3. Start curling 1-inch sections at one side of your face. Make sure they are curling in the same direction, toward your face. As you go, set each curl with a double-prong clip. Voila, pin curls!
4. Continue curling and setting in the same direction, moving from one side of your face to the top of your head to the other side. Keep going until you have curled the whole front part you sectioned off earlier.
5. Now, curl the rest of your hair in the same direction as before. Once you've finished, one side of your hair should curl toward your face and the other should curl away from it. Spray your entire head with a medium-hold hairspray.
6. Let your curls cool for 20 minutes, and then undo the pin curls. Gently brush through curls with a boar-bristle brush for soft, bouncy '50s waves.