If you like: Pineapple
Turn it into: Pineapple Upside-Down Pancakes
Ingredients: – 2 cups of a crunchy, granola-type cereal, slightly crushed – 1 cup whole-wheat flour – cup quick-cooking oats – 1 teaspoon baking soda – teaspoon nutmeg – 1 cups low fat organic buttermilk – 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup – 2 tablespoons expeller-pressed canola oil – 1/4 cup organic pineapple juice (use the juice saved from crushed pineapples below) – 2 large free-range eggs (or an egg substitute) – 1 8oz can crushed organic pineapples, drained (save juice for above.) – Optional toppings: sliced bananas, vanilla yogurt, maple syrup
1. In a large mixing bowl, add the first 5 dry ingredients together. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the next five ingredients. Set crushed pineapple aside.
2. Fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture until combined. Refrigerate batter for at least one hour so the ingredients combine completely and batter thickens (you can also refrigerate the batter overnight).
3. Coat griddle or large skillet with non-stick spray and heat pan over medium heat. Scoop about 1/4 cup of pancake batter onto heated pan, leaving enough room between pancakes to allow spreading. Drop a heaping tablespoon of crushed pineapple in the middle of each pancake and cook for about 45 seconds or until tops of pancakes bubble and edges begin to firm up.
4. Carefully turn the pancakes over and continue to cook for an additional minute or until golden brown.
5. Serve with pineapple side up, topping each pancake with your choice of topping.
Makes 24 pancakes
Recipe courtesy of Kashi.