Why it’s good for you
- Grapes: A new study finds that a daily intake of about four grapes lowers risk of breast cancer in postmenopausal women. When you have a choice, go for red over green: Red grape skins contain more heart-healthy resveratrol, Gerbstadt says.
- Mango: The antioxidants in this fruit can help keep skin cancer-free. (They serve as a natural SPF, increasing your skin’s ability to protect against the sun’s UV rays.)
- Chicken: Protein helps maintain muscle; what’s less known is that it’s also essential to bone health. According to recent research, women with higher protein intakes may have better bone density. Why? "Protein may increase the absorption of calcium," says Jane Kerstetter, PhD, of the University of Connecticut, Storrs.
Serves 4 (2 skewers per serving, with about 3/4 cup chutney)
8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water at least two hours
1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons clover honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons finely minced onion
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups halved red grapes
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons chopped peppermint leaves
1 thinly sliced lime and grapes, for garnish
1. Slice the chicken into thin, long strips, less than 1/2 inch thick.
2. Prepare the marinade: Combine the oil, orange juice, lime juice, honey, salt, onion, mustard, and garlic in a medium bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup of marinade to brush on the chicken. Add chicken, cover, and refrigerate for at least two hours.
3. Make the chutney: Place the mango in a medium bowl. Grill grapes in a grill wok or pan until lightly browned and skins are soft, about 10 minutes; add the grapes to the mango and stir. In a small bowl, dissolve the brown sugar in the vinegar, and add to the fruit mixture. Stir in the peppermint, and set aside.
4. Thread the chicken strips onto the soaked skewers and add slices of lime. Spray grill with fat-free nonstick cooking spray, and cook chicken over medium heat about 15 minutes, turning often and brushing with reserved marinade every few minutes until marinade is used up. Serve right away, with 3/4 cup chutney. Garnish with whole grapes if desired.
Per serving: 363 calories;40.4g protein; 37.9g carbohydrates;5.8g total fat;
1.1g saturated fat; 1.8g fiber; 436mg sodium