4. Ten minutes before serving, preheat a broiler. Place the bread on a baking sheet, and toast until golden on each side. Top with the Cheddar cheese, and place under the broiler again, until the cheese is melted, 30 to 60 seconds. Toss the pickled vegetables with the salad greens, and place a small handful of salad on top of each open-faced sandwich. Serve immediately.
Curried Root Vegetables
Prep time: 26 minutes
Cooking time: 28 minutes
Serves 4 to 6
Serve with steamed basmati rice.
- ½ pound taro
- ½ pound carrots
- ½ pound parsnips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped, fresh or canned
- ½ jalapeño pepper, halved lengthwise
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- Cilantro sprigs
1. Peel taro, and cut into large chunks. Simmer in boiling salted water until almost tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, cool, and cut into 1-inch cubes. Peel the carrots and parsnips; cut into 1-inch cubes.
2. Heat the oil in a large soup pot over low heat. Add the ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add the taro, coriander, cumin, salt, cardamom, cinnamon, red chili powder, paprika, pepper, turmeric, tomatoes, jalapeño, coconut milk and 1 cup water. Cover, and simmer until the taro is tender, about 4 minutes. Add the parsnips and carrots; simmer until cooked, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove cover, and continue to simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Place in a bowl, and garnish with the cilantro sprigs.
Joanne Weir (joanneweir.com) is the author of Joanne Weir’s Cooking Confidence (out this month).
Want MORE? Sign up for our weekly newsletter here