Cosmetic Kitchen: Homemade Facials
by Hayley Mason
I’m all for treating yourself to a spa trip once in a while, but it also takes time and money that isn’t always available. For a quick fix, try one of these homemade facial treatments from Sarah Camardello, spa director at Mirbeau Inn & Spa in Skaneateles, New York. The best part? The ingredients are probably already in your kitchen.
DIY Lip Scrub
This gritty lip scrub is the perfect at home beauty remedy to hydrate dry chapped lips, or simply to exfoliate for a smooth finish. “Honey works as a natural humectant, so it’s really going to hold the moisture in while the sugar provides gentle exfoliation. You will be left with super smooth and intensely hydrated lips,” says Sarah.
- Drop 1 teaspoon of 100 percent pure raw honey into a small bowl.
- Add 2 teaspoons of sugar. Mix well. (Sarah suggests using the more gritty raw sugar.)
- Apply a generous amount to lips, massage for one minute, and rinse clean.
Blueberry-Aloe Facial Mask
Sarah’s DIY beauty recipe for this facial mask includes antioxidant-rich blueberries to enhance skin’s brightness and soothing aloe for irritated skin. It’s also a therapeutic concoction for sunburnt skin after too much time spent at the beach. “Blueberries are packed with vitamins and minerals that promote revitalization and healing of the skin to reduce scarring and help blotchy skin,” says Sarah.
Blueberry-Aloe Mask Step-by-Step
- Combine ¼ cup of cold organic ripe blueberries and 2 tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel in a small bowl.
- Apply a generous amount of the mixture to your skin.
- Leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse. You will be left with incredibly soft and healthy, glowing skin.
Honey-Lemon Facial Mask
This at-home beauty treatment targets dry or dehydrated skin, binding in moisture to leave skin soft and supple. “The best part about this mask is the heat helps to penetrate into the skin, letting the moisture really sink in,” says Sarah. “The lemon juice tightens up the pores and brightens the skin while the honey holds in moisture.”
Honey-Lemon Mask Step-by-Step
- Combine 2 tablespoons of raw honey (organic preferred) and 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice in a small bowl; mix thoroughly.
- Apply to clean skin, then cover your face with clear clingwrap, leaving your nose and mouth exposed.
- Finish by placing a hot towel on top of your face and relax for 20 minutes. Your skin will feel amazing when you emerge!
If you don’t trust yourself in the kitchen there are plenty of products on the market that mimic these natural ingredients. Sarah’s spa clients rave about Caudalie Vinoperfect Day Perfecting Fluid for instant hydration and a dewy look.