Are you suffering from dry skin or brittle hair? Changes in the appearance of our skin, hair, and teeth aren't just minor annoyances. These shifts in appearance can cause women to appear older than they really are. Fortunately, to reverse aging symptoms, you don't need to schedule an appointment for Botox injections or a chemical peel. There are plenty of DIY methods to naturally reverse aging indicators and appear younger.
Remember, a healthy, active lifestyle is the most important action you can take on a daily basis to appear younger. Committing to regular exercise and eating healthy isn't just pure vanity either, according to Dr. Dharma Singh Khalsa. Scientists are continuing to discover that our "outward age" can be a powerful reflector of our inner health and well being. Reducing stress, moving on a regular basis, and eating a well-balanced diet are some of the most powerful ways to appear years younger on the inside and out.
To help you combat some of the most common signs of aging, including fine lines, thin hair, and yellow teeth, here are some DIY beauty remedies to reverse aging yourself.
1. Reduce Fine Lines and Wrinkles. In many cases, fine lines aren't just caused by sun exposure, a poor diet, or genetics. According to Dermatologist Dr. Nicholas Perricone, wrinkles can be a sign of prolonged exhaustion. A lack of sleep produces an excess of the hormone cortisol, which can cause belly fat and break down skin cells. Commit to getting 8 hours of solid rest on a daily basis and reduce your cortisol levels, which will help restore the youthful appearance of your skin. Make sure you are also drinking enough water to both avoid dehydration and improve the skin's appearance.
2. Combat Thinning Hair. Many women's hair naturally thins as they get older. According to Dr. Robert Leonard, around 50 percent of women have noticeably thinner hair by the age of 50. Genetics is a primary driver, but excessive chemical processing, overzealous brushing and hormone imbalances can also make your hair appear older.
Dermatologist Dr. Mary Lupo writes that a scalp massage can increase blood flow, which may temporarily cause an infusion of nutrients to your hair follicles. The technique is used in cultures worldwide to maintain hair health, and it can be performed daily. To increase blood flow, the next time you shampoo your hair in the shower, simply gently massage your entire head with coconut oil or olive oil for a few minutes before you turn the water on. While this hack can be performed anywhere, you'll probably prefer to shower out the oil immediately. A healthy diet and supplementation regimen that includes leafy greens, iron, biotin, and zinc can also improve your hair's health.
3. Reduce Eye Redness. Bloodshot eyes can be caused from long hours of electronics usage, allergies, or a poor diet. According to Nutritionist Kimberly Snyder, a diet high in inflammatory foods can cause your eyes to appear red. To reduce this and other potential signs of inflammation, eat a diet that's high in antioxidants. A few of Snyder's favorite antioxidant-rich foods include:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Almonds and Walnuts
4. Moisturize Dry Hands. Many women invest in high-quality moisturizers for their face, under their eyes, and for their neck, but women often forget to invest in a quality hand moisturizer. According to Dermatologic Surgeon Dr. Eric Bernstein, the skin on the hands is particularly delicate. Aging can manifest quickly in the form of thin-looking skin, dark spots, and highly visible veins. Dr. Bernstein recommends investing in a high-quality hand lotion and making a commitment to applying it daily. If you hate the feeling of "slimy" hands, apply hand lotion before you go to bed instead of during the day.
5. Whiten Dark Teeth. Yellow teeth can make you appear older and less healthy. A vibrant, healthy smile can be the most appealing and noticeable part of your face. At-home teeth bleaching kits can actually be a risky choice to reverse aging symptoms in your mouth. Dentist Jaklin Bezik writes that home bleaching kits can erode your teeth enamel and irritate your gums, which can cause discomfort and even damage to your mouth.
Dr. Sara Gottfried recommends oil pulling as an all-natural way to whiten your smile. Swishing coconut oil or another all-natural oil in your mouth is an ancient Ayurvedic practice that reportedly removes toxins and bacteria. According to Gottfried, many studies confirm that daily oil pulling can have a noticeable impact on oral health. While she recommends 20 minutes a day of oil pulling, aim for five minutes at first and work upward.
If you've noticed drastic changes in your skin, hair, or oral health, it's always wise to consult with your physician. Sudden changes and signs of premature aging can be symptoms of underlying health conditions. However, if you're healthy, DIY beauty practices, regular exercise, and a good diet can make you appear years younger than your true age.
What are your favorite DIY ways to reverse aging symptoms? Share your tips and tricks in the comments!