DIY Lipstick: How to Make Your Own Lip Color
by Ivy Boyd
Have you ever loved the color of an eye shadow or blush, and wished there was lip color in the same shade? Well, there can be! Here’s how to make your own custom shade for a DIY lipstick everyone will want.
Lipstick and glosses are essentially pure pigment suspended in another substance, which makes this an easy DIY project for any girl who likes to play with makeup. Follow this simple, two-ingredient recipe (and watch the how-to video here) and you’ll have custom lip color in a snap.
You will need:
Here’s how to do it.
1. Scrape the mascara wand over the eye shadow (powder pigment) surface onto a piece of paper. Go a little overboard. You will use more pigment than you think.
2. Place about a teaspoon of the jelly product in a small bowl and funnel the powder in. I prefer Aquaphor. Mix the two ingredients together. You may add more or less pigment, depending on the final look you want.
3. Scoop your creation into a lidded jar or container. You’ve just made yourself a customized lip color!
- Don’t be afraid to mix different colored pigments or even use a little shimmer.
- You can apply with your finger or a lip brush
- You don’t have to buy new containers. Look for clean, empty eye-cream jars, contact cases or even pill cases.
- Skip the scraping step if you already have loose pigments.
- Acquire the disposable mascara wands at a beauty supply store.
- Try mixing a little bronzer with your base for a summery look.
- Mixing a loose powder foundation with a peachy pink blush can create the perfect nude gloss.
For more beauty ideas from Ivy, go to Wake Up for Makeup.