Flowers and Knots: Try This Easy Half Updo
by Rachel Weeks
Straight off the Marchesa runway, this easy knotted half updo is perfect for any event—casual or formal. Whether you’re attending an outdoor wedding or heading for a music festival, this boho-chic hairstyle is stunning, especially with the addition of delicate baby’s breath flowers.
With a delicate net of vinelike knots and a little baby’s breath, this easy half updo is the only hairstyle you’ll need for your next big event. First appearing on the Marchesa runway, this romantic style is now yours to re-create. You’ll need a clipless curling iron, a texturizing spray, a strong-hold hairspray, a bunch of small clear elastics, and baby’s breath if you like.
1. Using a clipless curling iron, curl all your hair, creating loose beach waves. We’re using a 1¼-inch curling iron, but you can use whatever size you like. Add a texturizing spray for hold and volume.
2. Take a small piece of hair from the front of your head and another piece about the same size an inch away. Tie a double overhand knot with the two strands—just as you’d tie a knot in your shoelaces. Secure that piece with a clear elastic.
3. Continue creating the same knots around the crown of your head, tying them 2 to 3 inches apart.
4. Add more knots around the lower crown of your head in between the knots already there.
5. Add a few other random knots down the length of your hair. The amount will depend on how long your hair is.
6. Decorate the knots with small sprigs of baby’s breath. Add as much as desired. Finish off the look using a strong-hold hairspray.