The Foolproof Half-Up Topknot Tutorial
The half-up topknot is dominating trendy hairstyles right now, but it can feel so hard to pull off. Follow this tutorial to nail the casual cool look.
The half-up topknot seems like an elusive, hard-to-pull-off beauty blogger thing, but it's actually a universally-flattering hairstyle that can work on almost anyone. Not only is it perfect for almost every length and texture of hair, but once you learn how to create the style it's an incredibly easy and fast look to add to your list of go-to styles. All you need is a little bit of product, an elastic, and two bobby pins. The best part of this look is that you can dress it up or down: It's as perfect for a fun, flirty date night look as it is for disguising second or third day hair while running weekend errands. (Check out these other twists on a traditional hair bun!)
To get the look, follow these steps:
1. Prep hair with texturizer. We used Kevin Murphy Powder Puff Texturizing Powder, $27.
2. Make your half-up part starting at the temples and going in a 'U' shape around the back of the head. Gather hair at the crown or just slightly in front of it and tie your hair with an elastic band.
3. Split pony into two sections and twist one section. Wrap the twisted section around the base of the other section and pin in place.
4. Twist the next piece and wrap it around the first section in the same direction. Pin in place.
5. This look can be done on straight or natural hair texture, but for a more glamorous look add soft waves to the bottom section with a 1 1/2 inch curling iron. Finish with hairspray.
And you're good to go! See how easy that was?