A Fresh Twist on the Split Fishtail Braid
If you're looking for a way to spice up your everyday look, try this split fishtail braid hairstyle. Similar in technique to a regular fishtail braid, this look has an added dimension that sets it apart. Get ready to amp up your braid game with this fresh style!
This is not your ordinary fishtail braid—it's a split fishtail braid! To create it, you use a similar technique but there is an extra dimension to it, and it's much easier than it looks. So, warm up your fingers and follow the steps below to create this pretty braid.
1. To make the braiding easier, put your hair in a ponytail and secure it with a temporary elastic.
2. Split your ponytail into two sections.
3. Take a piece of hair on the outside of one of the sections, and divide it into two pieces.
4. Cross one piece over and one piece under the section of hair.
5. Join the two pieces together with the other section.
6. Do the same on the other side. Take a piece of hair from the outside of the section, divide it into two pieces, cross one under and one over the section, and join the pieces together with the other section.
7. Continue the same way all the way down. With this technique you create two braids on top of each other so it will look like two layers of braids.
8. Now pull on the bottom layer to loosen the braid.
9. Do this along all the rest the braid. Don't be afraid to tug on the braid—with a wider bottom layer the top layer will really pop and stand out to create the unique look of this split fishtail braid. Secure the braid with a small elastic the same color as your hair or a clear one.
10. Cut or break off the temporary elastic at the top of the braid to complete the look.
Now you have a pretty split fishtail braid! Wear it with jeans and a chunky knitted sweater during fall and winter for a cute, casual look, or pair it with a loose bohemian dress for an on-trend look this season.
For more tutorials like this one, visit Ulrika's blog Yet Another Beauty Site.