Red hair is beautiful. It has tons of sass and sets you apart in a sea of brunettes and blondes, but it can also be a lot of work. Maintaining a vibrant red can be difficult. The color doesn't penetrate into the hair as deeply; thus it starts to fade quicker than other colors. You want to maintain that vibrancy as long as possible, and here are a few helpful tips.
1. Avoid washing your hair for at least 48 hours after it has been dyed; this gives time for the color to set in.
2. Wash your hair as little as possible. If you must have a daily shower, then use a shower cap to keep your hair dry.
3. In between washes, combat oil by using dry shampoos such as Batiste, which revitalizes your hair and keeps it looking fresh and clean.
4. When you do wash your hair, use cool or cold water help close the cuticle and keep the color sealed in, minimizing color leakage.
5. Avoid shampoos and conditioners with sulfates, and stick with color-safe products.
6. Use a color-depositing conditioner and shampoo every second wash to add back in color that has washed out or faded away.
7. Wear a head covering to avoid sun fade, or apply a sun-protecting product such as Aveda Color Conserve Sun Protector when you go out.
8. Avoid chlorine whenever possible, but if you must go in the pool, either wear a swim cap or apply a protective layer of leave-in conditioner.
9. Keep the frizz down with these simple products.
Following these simple rules will help you maintain that vibrant color for as long as possible and help you avoid additional costly trips to the get touch-ups.