Hair How-To: Create a Wraparound Rope-Braid Bun
Fall is a fun time to experiment with new hairstyles that keep your hair away from your face (static-free) and allow chunky scarves to take center stage. Here's a fun rope-braid bun that's easy to do and works for lots of hair lengths and textures, making short hair appear longer and thin hair appear thicker. Give it a try today!
This wraparound rope-braid bun works great with hair with layers and results in a sexy, messy look that's so chic! Though it works with hair of all lengths, you will need to have hair long enough for one side to reach the other. Here's how to get the look yourself:
1. Start with hair that's curled or texturized to give your rope-braid bun extra texture and gripping, staying power. This is the perfect time to create long coiled curls with your curling iron. If you already have naturally curly or wavy hair, you can skip this step.
2. Create a deep side part in your hair. Starting with a section on the side of your head with less hair, begin twisting the hair, bringing it over to the other side of your head and picking up additional pieces as you work your way across. Once you've reached a point near the ear on the opposite side of your head, pin the hair in place with bobby pins.
3. Pick up another section from the same side of your head and repeat. Depending on the thickness of your hair, you will have three to five twisted sections across the back of your head. We used three sections to create the rope braid in this tutorial.
4. Gather all the twisted sections into a side ponytail below your ear, and secure with an elastic near the base of the ponytail.
5. Split the loose front section into two pieces and coil each one; then weave them together into a thick rope braid and secure the ends with an elastic. Do the same thing with the thick ponytail below your ear, sectioning it into two coiled strands and weaving them together into a thick rope braid secured at the end with an elastic.
6. Tie the two ponytails into a knot to create the bun and secure the ends underneath with bobby pins. This technique will add volume and texture to your bun. Secure your style with firm-hold hairspray.
And there you have it, a gorgeous casual hairstyle perfect for fall days (and nights). Wear with your favorite chunky knit sweater for a trip to the apple orchard, pumpkin patch or late-fall football game, and enjoy the season in style!
Modeling by Raji V. Photograhy by Natalie Probst.
For more hairstyle ideas, visit Maritza at Beauty For Bloggers.