Hair How-To: Jessica Alba–Inspired Updo
Celebrity hairstyles always provide great inspiration. This Jessica Alba updo, for example, is a stunning formal look that will make any woman look like a million bucks.
Everett Collection / Shutterstock.com
Jessica Alba first rocked this stylish updo at the 2008 Academy Awards, and it's become an Internet fave for women looking for night-out hairstyles. Wear it with a beautiful dress, and you'll be ready for your own red carpet moment! This style requires medium- to long-length hair but will work with hair of any texture. Here's how to create it:
1. Create some volume on the crown area by backcombing the hair. Add a bit of hair spray for hold.
2. Smooth out the top layer, and gather the backcombed hair in the back. Secure it with bobby pins, and make sure you keep the volume you created earlier.
3. Make a lace braid with the hair from the front. A lace braid means that you're only incorporating hair from one side, in this case only from below, not above. Incorporate hair all the way until you reach the ear; then switch to a classic, three-strand braid. Secure the end with an elastic.
4. Secure the braid in the back in the same place you secured your backcombed hair earlier. Repeat on the other side.
5. Curl small sections of hair with a clipless iron.
6. When you release the curl, roll it back up about halfway and secure it with a bobby pin. You have now created a pin curl.
7. Now roll up the end to create one more pin curl. I like to create two pin curls out of one piece of curled hair to get more volume in the back. Continue like this until all the hair in the back is up. Arrange the pin curls to your liking.
Voilà! With this sexy and sophisticated updo, you'll be ready to rule the night.
For more hair tutorials from Ulrika, visit Yet Another Beauty Site.