The perfect combination of naughty and nice, this French-twisted ponytail is a rock-and-roll twist on an old updo classic: the French twist. While the French twist has a tendency to look elegant and proper (except this more modern one), this twisted ponytail is much more casual and fun. You decide which is appropriate for your next event. All you need to accomplish the look is a salt spray, hair wax, a tail comb, some large bobby pins, some small bobby pins, and a hair elastic.
1. To keep this look from looking too proper, let's add some texture. Spritz your hair with a salt spray for a dry, beachy effect. Next, take a little hair wax and rub it between your fingers before massaging it through your hair. Tease your hair at the crown for even more texture.
2. Use a tail comb to create a straight part at the nape of the neck, leaving a small layer of hair out. This hair will be wrapped around the ponytail later on.
3. Pull the top layer of hair to the right side of your head, and use large bobby pins to secure it to the side.
4. Leaving the hair hanging out the bottom, roll the pinned section back toward the left side of your head until it reaches the center. Use a few small bobby pins to secure the left side of the roll to your head.
5. Secure the bottom of the roll of hair with an elastic to create a ponytail. Add more bobby pins to secure the roll even more if needed.
6. Next, take the bottom layer of hair you left out in step 2 and wrap it around the base of the ponytail to hide the elastic. Secure the end with a bobby pin. Finish off the look with a strong-hold hairspray, and finger-tease the ponytail for added texture.