Holiday Hairstyle: Maria Menounos Tousled Fishtail Braid
The holiday hair season is officially here and what’s more festive than a fancy braid? I think this hairstyle worn by Maria Menounos at the 2013 Emmy Awards is perfect for a holiday soirée. A tousled fishtail braid has a hint of elegance mixed with effortless glam. To all my braid lover's out there, rock this hairstyle to any holiday event and you're sure to look red carpet-worthy too.
Featureflash / Shutterstock.com
Follow my step-by-step directions below to achieve this holiday-ready hairstyle.
- Start with dry hair. If your hair is resistant to curl, add a spray gel or a lightweight mousse for volume, texture and hold.
- Starting at the nape of your neck, take 2- to 3-inch sections of hair and curl. I recommend a 1¼-inch barrel curling iron. It's important to hairspray each section of hair with a medium-hold hairspray as you work to keep the curl and texture. Continue curling your hair all over your head.
- Next, take the hair from the top half of your head and aggressively tease at the root area. If your hair is resistant to back-combing, apply a little bit of Resurrection Dust by Label M at the roots. This will hold the teasing and give you volume.
- Now, pull the hair back, gently combing out the teasing with your fingers. Gather all your hair at the nape and create a ponytail. Secure your ponytail with an elastic.
- Fishtail braid your ponytail. Learn how to fishtail here. Continue the braid until you’re left with only a couple of inches of hair. Secure the ends with an elastic.
- Shorter layers of hair will most likely have fallen out of the braid while creating it. Re-curl or tease those pieces if necessary, pull them back, and secure them with bobby pins.
- To create an oversized messy fishtail braid, gently tug at the sections to loosen the braid. Just don't pull the hair out completely!
- Finish this look off by using a firm-hold hairspray to keep the look in place.