How to Use Clip-In Hair Extensions
by Ulrika Edler
When you have short hair and want to try a more glamorous ‘do, clip-in hair extensions are a quick solution to give you more length and body. Clip-ins give you the flexibility to have whatever hair length you want, regardless of how long your hair actually is, plus they’re easy enough that you can put them in yourself.
If you’re looking to try a trendy, voluminous hairstyle but lack the length and thickness you desire, clip-in hair extensions are a quick solution to fake the look of long and luscious locks. Clip-ins are not difficult to use and compared to how long it would take to grow out your hair, the time commitment is “nbd.” New to hair extensions? Become a pro at using them by following this tutorial.
1. Horizontally section off your hair at the nape of your neck, pinning up the top section of hair.
2. For extra security, backcomb the base of the section. This step is especially crucial if your hair is newly washed. If you’re working with second-day hair or if your hair has a natural texture, this step may not be necessary.
3. Apply hairspray to the backcombed portion of your hair.
4. Open the package of clip-in hair extensions. Starting in the middle of the sectioned portion, slide the first clip of the weft hair extension into your hair, and secure it in place.
5. Use two more clips to lock in the first hair extension.
6. Let down more hair from the top section, and clip on the next weft hair extension using four clips.
7. Repeat step four, using a weft hair extension with three clips, until you are finished with the entire section of hair.
8. To apply an extension to the side of your head, pin up a section of hair about an inch above one ear and then clip on a weft hair extension with two clips.
9. Let down some hair over that extension, and clip on a weft hair extension with one clip. Repeat steps eight and nine on the other side of your head.
10. The best way to make the clip-in hair extensions blend into your own hair is to curl them.
For more hair tutorials like this one, visit Ulrika at her blog Yet Another Beauty Site.