Not Your Grandma’s Updo: Try This Loose, Flirty Style
If you've searched for updo inspiration on Pinterest, you've probably seen this messy-chic hairstyle on Jaime King. We've seen it, we loved it, and now we have the step-by-step instructions to do it at home. Try it yourself before your next big event.
Actress Jaime King's flirty updo is the perfect mix of tousled and elegant — a highly sought-after combination. So, when we were looking for new hairstyles to try, we just had to give it a shot. The result: a just-elegant-enough look that's so easy to do yourself. Here's how.
1. Start with dry hair. If your hair is resistant to being curled with an iron, work in some lightweight mousse for hold and texture, and blow-dry. Starting at the nape of the neck, clip most of your hair up, leaving out the bottom layer. Hairspray that section with a medium-hold hairspray, and repeat. Curl your entire head of hair with a 1-inch-diameter curling iron. Make sure the curls are going away from your face.
2. Create a severe side part on the side you want. Note: We waited to make the part until after curling to maximize lift at the roots.
3. Once your hair is completely curled and parted, lightly comb through it with your fingers.
4. Separate a large off-center triangle section at the front of your hair, starting from the crown of your side part to just below eye level. Clip it out of the way.
5. Leaving the front triangle clipped, lightly tease the crown of your head. Gather your hair in a low, side pony at the nape of your neck on the same side as your part.
6. Randomly pin back pieces of your ponytail to create a messy bun. Unclip the triangle bang section, and let it loosely frame your face. If you have longer pieces hanging down, feel free to pin them back into your side bun or just let them hang. Finish this look with a firm-hold hairspray.
Now, after only a few steps, you have the perfectly messy updo for any occasion.