Wear This Hair: Carey Mulligan’s Knotted Updo
Feeling a little knotty lately? Me too! Hair knotty, that is. Here's how to get Carey Mulligan's updo in 7 easy steps. It's as simple as twist and pin.
This particular style works great with medium to long hair in a variety of textures. Carey Mulligan wears it smooth and full, but this style would also look great with curls. Really, anything goes! Here's how to get the look:
- Start with dry tresses. If your locks are prone to frizz, apply a smoothing balm and blow dry it straight.
- Section the hair in two. One section will be in the back of the head, below the crown from ear to ear. The second section will be above the ear. Clip the section above the ear for later.
- Take all of your locks in your bottom section and secure the hair into a low pony tail. Take the ends of your pony tail and tightly twist your hair and wrap around the ponytail, creating knots and secure with bobby pins.
- Release the top section, and split this section into three sections. Two sections will be on the side of the head from around the brow line to the back of the head, and the third will be the middle section. Take your middle top section and lightly tease the root area by taking horizontal sections. Brush out the top layer of your teased section back toward your crown. Create a ponytail right below the crown area. Take the ends of your pony tail and tightly twist your locks up until it starts wrapping itself around your pony creating knots. Secure with bobby pins.
- Now, twist each side section back onto the top twisted ponytail and secure with bobby pins.
- Any loose hairs can be twisted around the cluster of knots and secured with bobby pins.
- Finish with a medium hold hairspray.
For more hair tutorials from Jenny, check out Confessions of a Hairstylist.