Pucker Up! These Are the 12 Best Lip Liners of 2020
by Caroline Harris
Shop The Story
Dramatic lip looks are all the rage right now. Just look at Kylie Jenner, whose best-selling lip kits have helped make her the world’s youngest “self-made” billionaire, according to Forbes. For a plumper pout, it’s all about using lip liner to define your natural lip line and supplement your lipstick. Keep scrolling for the best lip liners so you can get a perfect pout like Kylie Jenner.
Our list includes lip liners for plumping, hydrating, and defining your lips in shades of pink, red, and nude. You can go for a subtle no makeup-makeup look, or you can pack on the pigment depending on your mood. We included budget-friendly options for under $10 along with luxury items for if you’re living large.
Lip liner boasts so many benefits, like defining your lips, preventing color bleeding, and extending your lipstick’s wear. You may be wondering: “wait, how do I apply lip liner in the first place?” If you’re new to the product, don’t worry because lip liner is pretty user-friendly.
- Best Plumping: Buxom Plumpline Lip Liner
- Best Hydrating: Givenchy Lip Liner
- Best Budget: KVD Vegan Beauty Everlasting Lip Liner
- Best Natural: Lily Lolo Natural Lip Pencil
- Best Nude: Marc Jacobs Beauty Poutliner Longwear Lip Liner Pencil
- Best Longwear: Melt Cosmetics Allday Everyday Lipliner
- Best Contouring: Make Up For Ever Aqua Lip Waterproof Lipliner Pencil
- Best Waterproof: Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat Lip Liner
- Best Pigmented: NARS Precision Lip Liner
- Best Luxury: Dior Rouge Contour Classic Lip Liner
- Best Drugstore: NYX Professional Makeup Suede Matte Lip Liner
- Best Red: RMS Beauty Lip Liner
Start by exfoliating and moisturizing your lips so you have a smooth surface to work with. (Lip scrubs are an easy way to exfoliate your pout.) Choose a lip liner that best matches the lipstick shade you’re going to use. Sharpen your liner before use so you can create precise lines, then use the liner to draw a couple strokes on the back of your hand to warm it up. Next, part your lips to reveal your mouth’s natural shape, and outline your natural lip line using light, short strokes, beginning at the cupid’s bow and working outward. For a more natural look, you can combine your lip liner with lip gloss.
Now that your crash course in applying lip liner is complete, shop these popular lip liners that are loved by reviewers. Get ready to pucker up with the best lip liners of 2020.
Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.