The Correct Way To Apply Lipstick For 6 Different Lip Shapes
by Hannah Marsh
You’ve been putting on your lipstick all wrong. We’ve got the best beauty tricks to play up your pout!
Lipstick and lip shades can truly make or break an entire look. Unfortunately, with so many different shapes of pouts in the world, it’s hard to know what tricks will play yours up. We’ve gathered tips on how to enhance some of the most common lip shapes, whether its the best lipstick for full lips, thin lips, or a small mouth, and they are sure to be game-changers.
Don’t be afraid to play around with some of these tricks to create a look that best encompasses your beautiful and confident self!
If You Have Small Lips:
- Is this you?: Small lips tend to have smaller mouths. Celebs like Jennifer Lawrence and Taylor Swift rock this lip shape.
- Play them up!: Line your lips all the way around with a soft liner, and blend it for a natural look. After applying the color of choice, add some highlight right above your cupid’s bow and in the center of your bottom lip to really plump it up!
- The perfect shades of lipstick for small mouth ladies: Bright, shimmery, and glossy shades look fantastic on people with smaller lips. Softer hues have a tendency to brighten up your entire face!
- Try this lipstick: Urban Decay Vice Lipstick in Wrong Number, a high-shine soft pink.
If You Have Thin Lips:
- Is this you?: Lips on the thinner side tend to be slimmer than some of the plumper pouts. Blake Lively, Jennifer Aniston, and Amy Schumer all share this shape!
- Play them up!: Apply a lip liner just around the outside of your natural lip line and slightly smudge it to make a natural line before applying the shade of your choice.
- The perfect shades of lipstick for thin lips: Any shades that shimmer and shine are going to be the way to go for this shape. (Pro tip: By using a darker shade of lipstick on the bottom and a slightly lighter shade on the top and blending them together, you can create a look that will make your lips truly stand out from the crowd!)
- Try this lipstick: Too Faced Throwback Lipstick – Cheers to 20 Years Collection in Hot Flash, a glittery plum-merlot shade
If You Have Bottom-Heavy Lips and a Thin Upper Lip:
- Is this you?: This kind of lip shape has a slightly smaller upper lip compared to the bottom one. Emma Watson and Rihanna work the bottom heavy lips!
- Play them up!: Start by lining around your natural lip line, put a little extra emphasis on the thin upper lip, and then simply fill your lips in with the color of your choice. To finish, add just a dab of nude, matte eyeshadow to the center of your upper lip to really make your look pop!
- The perfect shades of lipstick for thin upper lip: With the right application, almost any shade works with this type of lip shape. Choose one to go with your skin tone, and you’ll be ready to pucker up!
- Try this lipstick: Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Mattemoiselle Plush Matte Lipstick in Ma’Damn, a classic royal red
If You Have Full Lips:
- Is this you?: Angelina Jolie and Kylie Jenner are two of the most notorious celebrities who rock this plump pout.
- How to play them up: Line all the way around your lips to really make them pop. If you’re looking for a more subtle look, try lining ever so slightly inside your natural lip line.
- The perfect shades of lipstick for full lips: If you want to make your lips look thinner, adding a little foundation to your pout or applying a nude-colored shade will do just that. However, there’s nothing wrong with rocking what your mama gave you, so trying out a matte shade of your choice with a layer of gloss on top will really make your lips stand out!
- Try this lipstick: To really play up full lips, use Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in L.U.V., a matte, rich violet.
If You Have Flat Lips:
- Is this you?: Lips with a flatter shape have less curves than other shapes, meaning they don’t have the traditional bow shaped lips on top. Kirsten Dunst and Kate Hudson are two celebrities who have fabulous flat lip shapes!
- How to play them up: If you want to create slightly more curves to your lips, try taking a liner around your entire mouth, and really making sure to emphasize the “m” bow shape of your top lip when you get there.
- The perfect shades of lipstick for non-bow shaped lips: Nearly any shade looks good on this lip shape, so grab your go-to color, add some glass and you’re ready to go!
- Try this lipstick: Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick in Sweet Cream, a satiny muted peach
If You Have Top-Heavy Lips:
- Is this you?: Amanda Seyfried, Gigi Hadid, and Selena Gomez all pucker up with top-heavy shapes!
- How to play them up: Start by lining your entire lip, putting a little extra emphasis on the bottom liner.
- The perfect shades of lipstick for full upper lips: Try applying a bright shade of lipstick on your bottom lip, followed by a darker shade of the same color on your top. By adding a dab of either white or nude eyeshadow to the center of your lower lip, you’ll be able to create an entire fullness to your mouth that will absolutely make your look!
- Try this lipstick: Tarte Color Splash Lipstick in Hibiscus for the bottom and Ocean Drive for the top. Be sure to blend!
Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.