Fall Makeup Trend: The Navy Smokey Eye
There are tons of emerging fall makeup trends for 2013, and one that I’m particularly excited for is the reappearance of the color navy. Whether in liner or shadow, navy is a modern twist on classic black. When paired with browns and mushroom shades, it's perfectly moody and autumnal.
I fell in love with this image from NARS fall campaign and wanted to make it more wearable for an evening out for the every girl. I didn’t exaggerate the shape the way it is in the NARS photo, but instead kept the edges softer, almost messy, and wild. I used a warm, matte brown as my base in this look because a black or navy-based eye look can harsh in certain lighting. I paired the eyes with subtle spice-colored lips and cinnamon cheeks for a finished fall look.
To create this look you'll need:
- Matte, warm brown eyeshadow like Urban Decay Buck.
- Creamy, chocolate brown eyeliner such as Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes in 25L.
- Creamy, black eyeliner like Make Up For Ever in 0L.
- Matte, deep navy eyeshadow like NYX Nude Matte shadow in In The Buff.
- Shimmery taupe eyeshadow like Urban Decay Sidecar or Mushroom.
- Shimmery highlight shade like Urban Decay Virgin.
- Your favorite mascara. I used Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes!
Follow my step-by-step directions below to achieve this trendy fall makeup look.
1. Begin by applying a warm, matte brown eyeshadow to the crease and extending it slightly above.
2. Use a fluffy crease brush for optimal placement and blending.
3. Now take a creamy, chocolate brown liner and line your upper lash line.
4. Immediately smudge line with a pencil brush. When using waterproof liners, if you wait too long to smudge, it will have dried and become immovable.
5. Next line the lower lash line, immediately smudging this line out as well.
6. Begin applying the navy eyeshadow by pressing it on the outer third of your lid.
7. Use a blending brush to bring this color into the crease and across the lid.
8. You can use your crease brush with the matte brown shade to blend further and add warmth.
9. Now take a black, waterproof eyeliner and line the inner rim of your lower lid.
10. Add a highlight to the inner corner of your eye with a pale, shimmery shade.
11. Now press a shimmery taupe eyeshadow in the center of the lid, highlighting the highest point of your eye.
12. Apply mascara to the bottom lashes.
13. Apply mascara to the top lashes to finish! Now you're ready for a night out! This is a fall makeup trend you can rock with confidence.
Here's the Pin-able version of this smoky eye technique with all the step-by-step photos:
Get more makeup tips from Ivy at WakeUpforMakeup.