How to Apply Glitter Eyeliner Properly
If you really want your eyes to pop and sparkle for a big event, try experimenting with glitter eyeliner.
1. Always start with a clean canvas. I wash my face with a gentle cleanser and then towel-dry. Next I apply a light, oil-free moisturizer and let it absorb fully before applying my makeup.
2. Glitter eyeliner should be the finishing touch of your look, so I apply most of my other makeup first. I start with a foundation, concealer, and loose powder to even out my skin tone and cover imperfections. I also like to apply my highlighter and eye shadow before applying my eyeliner. Note: powdered eye shadows are best when using glitter eyeliner, as gel or creams tend to smear and can bring the glitter along for the ride. If you use makeup to help shape your eyebrows, you may also want to do this first. Mascara, however, should be saved until you’re done applying liner.
3. Once your look is almost complete, it’s time to really glam things up with your glitter eyeliner. Many different brands, colors, and formulas are available, so there’s room to experiment with different looks. Glitter eyeliner is generally too subtle when used alone, so I like to use a darker pencil liner first (like black or navy) and then follow with the glitter eyeliner. Don’t use a liquid formula for your first line, however, as the glitter eyeliner can cause it to smear.
4. After I'm done applying my original eyeliner, I stroke a single line of glitter eyeliner over the top, starting just short of the inner corner of my upper lid and moving outward. Avoiding the inner corner of your eyelid helps prevent specks of glitter from migrating into your eyes and causing irritation. I like to create a cat eye with my glitter eyeliner by adding a slight wing at the outer corner. Repeat this process on both eyes and you’re done.
5. Glitter eyeliner is definitely a glam look, and it wouldn’t be complete without a few coats of black mascara. If you’re giving this much emphasis to the eye area, you generally want to keep the rest of your face simple; I apply just a very light blush and some nude lip gloss to finish off the look.
Now that you know how to apply glitter eyeliner properly, you can create a fun, glam-rock look with just a few easy steps. It may not be appropriate for an everyday look, but it’s a great way to spice things up for a night out.